Saturday, January 14, 2012

Back to School....January style!!!






It was a BIG, BIG day in the Weathers' house this past week! Lily had her 1st day of Kindergarten!

Just a couple day for school let out for Christmas, Carlton and I set up a meeting with the school counselor and principal. We had been praying about putting Lily in school for months now, and we had just recently seen some things in her behavior that were confirmation that it was time to do this! I cannot tell you how thankful we are for the staff at Kitty Stone Elem. They have been incredible. First with Noah starting school, then Hannah Grace transitioning in from homeschooling and now with Lily and her special circumstances. Both of these ladies were very open and patient with us as we explained our daughter's need and what we wanted from a school setting. It was very important for us for Lily to have a teacher that would communicate with us on a daily basis. Lily was placed in the perfect classroom! Her teacher has gone above and beyond what we have asked. We even had the privilege of having her teacher and her family over for supper the weekend before school began. Lily took Ms. Harper upstairs and showed her all of her China pictures. Ms. Harper is now well-educated in adoption and ALL that it entails. Good and Bad (not bad, just hard). We love the Harper family and to top it off...they love the Lord passionately! What a sweet blessing!

Lily will be going to school 3 days a week(Mon-Wed) for the first month of school. And it's a good thing we are doing 3 days a week, because last week she fell asleep at 11:00am on Thursday. She was worn out!!! Lily is still napping for 2.5 hours each afternoon, so no nap is hard to get used to!

Her first week went great!! I stayed with her on Monday from 8am to 11am. There were a lot of skills that I saw that she needed to work on. (Some things you just forget about when teaching at home) It really helped for me to be there...to see the schedule and how the classroom ran each morning. She jumped right in during group time and loved center time. She is doing so good. And yes, she will do Kindergarten again next school year. I know how important these first years are...and I have no issues with her spending another full year in K. I want her to be a very strong first grader and that she will be! She is already reading pretty stinkin' good!! I couldn't be more proud. Sometimes, I look at her, and I am just amazed at what the Lord is doing in her and what He is going to do through her. He has such a sweet plan for her life. Her 3 year Gotcha Day (adoption day) is coming up next month. It's been a long, long road. She has come so far. There have been some smooth patches, but mostly a lot of rough patches. From learning a completely new language, to learning how to be loved and be part of a family unit, to attaching to Mom and Dad, to growth issues, and learning that she is safe in our family and will not be abandoned again. These were ALL very hard things for her to grasp. But, she has made tremendous progress. Lily has taught me so much about myself. My daughter has pushed me to love the Lord more. And in turn, I love her deeply...in a way I never thought possible. Adoption is a challenging road, but one that is rich in blessings.

Here are a few pictures from the week....enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment